It went well for some groups, it went really terribly for others. Well, let me be more specific: the story asking went well, it was the reading and translating that was difficult. The story is just too long to keep the kids’ interest. There is a bright side about the story, though: The fifth graders I used this story with drew the details of the story as a comic book and the majority of them got all of the details. They weren’t originally supposed to do this, but since the quick translation, line by line (as suggested by the TPRS method) went poorly, I decided to try a drawing activity, just so I could see the students’ level of comprehension.
Like I said, they showed all the details. I’ll take that as a victory-It wasn’t what I had originally planned; it was even better!